General Instrument Maintenance and Care
When caring for musical instruments there are some general steps that apply to virtually all instruments. These are listed below.
- Always store your instrument in a case with functioning handles, zippers, hinges, etc.
- Do not store anything on top of your instrument
- Avoid storing your instrument in extreme heat or cold to avoid warping wood and other damage (this includes storing your instrument in a car)
- Never leave your instrument unattended in public
- Keep your instrument clean by wiping it down before storing, cleaning parts weekly, and getting it professionally cleaned annually
- Do not attempt to repair an instrument on your own, but instead take it to certified and trustworthy technicians
There are also important steps to instrument maintenance that vary based on category. Click below to learn how to best care for your specific type of instrument.